Spring Work Party - 28th May, 2017
On Sunday, 28th May, 2017 a total of 28 Legion members took part in the Spring Work Party to ensure
that the Branch was up to snuff for the Branch 36 D-Day Church Parade and
of the work party split up into groups and did various tasks in and around the
branch including sweeping the parking lot, checking plants in the front
gardens, planting new plants around the Legion property and general cleanup.
A major task was completed was the removal and disposal of old air conditioning units that had been attached to the east side of the Branch 36 building. This was accomplished with the use of a loader made available by Bill Grisdale of Grisdale Enterprises, and it easily lifted the units down from the side of the building so that they could be scrapped. Jack Murnaghan and Denny Moyer must also be thanked for making their their trailers available to the Spring Work Party.
Inside the Branch other tasks were being done. Gord Sharpe and Peter Whittaker removed the carbonated beverage units from the Clubroom bar and also from the Banquet Hall bar. Doug Rivers and Mile Alkerton cleaned up the fish fryers in the new stove in the Banquet Room kitche upstairs.
In the Wentworth Room Rob Wright closed up an alcove with studding and panelling, where the Branch library once stood, and it has greatly improved the appearance of this room.
Various in-house tasks were completed by Linda Rivers, Leanne Robinson, Caitlin Robinson, Mary Whittaker and Judy Hall-Wright that cleaned up the Clubroom and the Wentworth room.
Judy Hall-Wright and Dave Hawthorne worked on a display case containing items from the Wentworth room and the case has been placed in an alcove in the Wentworth Room. After tasks were completed, everyone
sat down and enjoyed a delicious meal supplied by Peter Martin, Sandra Hicks and Marie Kobylinski.
Before everyone started on their meal, Paul Penney, the Branch 36 House and Grounds chair and organizer of this work party. stood and thanked everyone for volunteering for this Work Party and emphasized that it is only through volunteer work like that done today that Branch 36 continues to be such a good Legion branch.
| Branch 36 - 2017 Annual Spring Work Party Members
Judy Hall Wright
| All photographs courtesy of Peter Whittaker
1. Paul Penney gets loader up to air conditioning unit while Larry O'Connor gives advises.
2. Paul Penney gets loader under air conditioning unit.
3. Loader lifts air conditioning unit out of frame on wall.
4. Two air conditioners down and two still to be brought down.
5. Gary Logue works on cleaning up the parking area.
6. Jack Murnaghan works on loading trailer.
7. Denny Moyer brought his trailer in so that the air conditioning units taken from the wall could be scrapped.
8. Fred Haddock trims a bush at the front of the branch.
9. Leo Shaidle works around the sign at the front of the branch.
10. Leo Shaidle works around the sign at the front of the branch.
11. Leo Shaidle works around the sign at the front of the branch.
12. Fred Haddock completes the bush trimming at the front of the branch.
13. Fred Haddock and Leo Shaidle worked and improved the appearance of the branch from the street.
14. Gord Sharpe lets everyone know that refreshments are now available.
15. Gord Sharpe and Caroline Burns check out the back of the bar.
16. Gord Sharpe, Branch 36 President and Dave Hawthorne 2nd Vice President discuss work being done.
17. Judy Hall Wright works on Wentworth Regiment display while Rob Wright builds frame for a wall.
18. Marie Kobylinski, Judy Hall Wright and Dave Hawthorne look at new display.
19. Gord Sharpe chats with ladies who completed indoor cleaning tasks.
20. Denny Moyer, Dave Hawthorne and Brian Walker start loading old air conditioners onto trailer while Caroline Burns is the safety person.
21. Denny Moyer, Dave Hawthorne, Brian Walker loading first air conditionier while Caroline Burns supervises.
22. Brian Walker, Dave Hawthorne and Denny Moyer get the tailgate up on trailer after all old air conditioners were loaded.
23. Caroline Burns, Brian Walker, Dave Hawthorne and Denny Moyer discuss a task well done.
24. Dave Steele works outside branch entrance.
25. Once tasks were completed everyone started to gather in the clubroom for refreshments.
26. More volunteers completet their tasks and get refreshments.
27. Everyone is happy that their tasks are complete.
28. Time to relax and get a cold drink.
29. Doug Rivers speaks to cleanup volunteers.
30. Paul Penney thanks everyone for taking part in this Work Party.
31. Everyone chats over a cold drink.
32. Everyone enjoys refreshment after completion of their tasks.
33. Everyone enjoys refreshment after completion of their tasks.
34. Everyone enjoys refreshment after completion of their tasks.
35. Everyone enjoys refreshment after completion of their tasks.
36. Everyone enjoys refreshment after completion of their tasks.
37. Marie Kobylinksi and Leanne Robinson begin to set up meal for volunteers.
38. Marie Kobylinksi and Leanne Robinson begin to set up meal for volunteers.
39. Marie Kobylinksi and Leanne Robinson begin to set up meal for volunteers.
40. There was lots of discussions that amused everyone.
41. |More cold refreshments helped end the day.
42. Marie Kobylinski takes covers off food ready for everyone to enjoy it.
43. This was a great meal supplied by Peter Martin and was enjoyed by everyone.
44. A great meal for all the volunteers who took part in the Spring Work Party.
45. A great meal for all the volunteers who took part in the Spring Work Party.
46. Everyone enjoyed this great meal.
47. Gord Sharpe give last call for cold refreshments to complete the meal.